Subaru is a Japanese automaker known for its all-wheel drive vehicles, including cars, SUVs, and crossovers. The company was founded in 1953 as a division of Fuji Heavy Industries, and it has since become one of the most popular auto brands in the world.
Subaru’s logo is a stylized representation of the Pleiades star cluster, which is also known as the Seven Sisters. The Pleiades are a group of stars that are visible to the naked eye, and they have been an important symbol in many cultures throughout history. In Japanese mythology, the Pleiades were known as Subaru, which means “unite” or “gather together.”
The Subaru logo features six stars arranged in a specific pattern, with one star larger than the others. This design represents the six companies that merged to form Fuji Heavy Industries, with the larger star representing the parent company. The stars are also arranged in a way that resembles the constellation Taurus, which is where the Pleiades can be found in the night sky.
Over the years, Subaru has become known for its innovative engineering and commitment to safety. The company’s all-wheel drive vehicles have won numerous awards and accolades, and they are especially popular in areas with harsh weather conditions. Subaru has also been a leader in the development of environmentally friendly vehicles, including hybrid and electric models.
In recent years, Subaru has become a favourite among outdoor enthusiasts and adventure seekers, thanks to its rugged and versatile vehicles. The company has also been involved in a number of charitable initiatives, including its “Share the Love” campaign, which donates a portion of each sale to a selected charity.
Overall, Subaru has a rich history and a strong reputation for quality and reliability. The company’s logo is a symbol of its heritage and values, and it has become one of the most recognisable auto logos in the world.
Subaru Logo History
The Subaru logo has evolved over time, but it has always featured a representation of the Pleiades star cluster. Here is a brief history of the Subaru logo:
- The first Subaru logo was created in 1953, when the company was founded as a division of Fuji Heavy Industries. The logo featured a large star with six smaller stars around it, arranged in a hexagonal pattern.
- In the 1960s, the logo was updated with a new font and a slightly different star arrangement. The large star was moved to the top of the logo, with the smaller stars arranged in a circle below it.
- In the 1970s, the logo was again updated with a more modern font and a simplified star arrangement. The large star was made larger and more prominent, with five smaller stars arranged in a circle around it.
- In the 1980s, the logo was updated with a more stylised star design. The stars were elongated and given a more angular shape, with the large star in the centre and five smaller stars around it.
- In the 1990s, the logo was updated once again with a more three-dimensional look. The stars were given a metallic finish, with the large star in the centre and five smaller stars arranged in a tilted oval around it.
- In 2003, Subaru introduced a new logo design that emphasis the Pleiades star cluster more prominently. The stars were given a more stylised, abstract look, with the large star in the centre and six smaller stars arranged in a specific pattern.
- In 2017, Subaru updated its logo again with a new font and a slightly modified star design. The stars were made slightly larger and given a more uniform shape, with the large star in the centre and six smaller stars arranged in a hexagonal pattern.
Overall, the Subaru logo has remained consistent in its use of the Pleiades star cluster, but it has evolved over time to reflect changing design trends and brand values. The current logo emphasises Subaru’s commitment to innovation and precision, while also paying homage to the company’s heritage and history.